Sunday, April 28, 2013

Adventures, Part 2.

Jeremiah 9:23-24 "'Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice, and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,' declares the Lord." 

So our new life chapter adventures have begun! It all started with a freaky cold front blasting through Bryan, TX on the day my dad, husband, and assorted friends were loading the Uhaul, bringing sheets of rain and 45 degree weather. It was off to a great start! Our first day of driving was accompanied by that same cold, dreary rain aaaalllll the way through Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and into Alabama. And obviously with that cold, dreary rain came a flat tire on the Uhaul a couple hours outside of Birmingham where we had plans to join our dear, sweet friend Aimee for dinner. And obviously with that flat Uhaul tire came the wait for the repair guy to show up on the side of the highway, a man we affectionately named "Billy Bob". Take the initial image your mind creates when you hear the name "Billy Bob" and there you have him. But the Lord was teaching me valuable lessons on that side of the highway...be thankful for a seat inside a warm, dry truck, be grateful for time-killing activities such as Pinterest, and don't make time-sensitive plans on a long move.

Fast forward three days and we made it to sunny and cool Virginia! Needless to say the kitties were happy to get out of the truck, although they did do surprisingly well with a dog kennel and a makeshift foil-lasagna-pan-litter-box. There was a slightly tense moment along the way when Mumford began whining, something that sweet special-needs kitty doesn't do often, and was making it clear he needed to use the little boys' room asap. Me, backwards over the seat, setting up that lasagna pan on the truck bench all while moving at 70 mph and being warned not to get any litter on the leather...quite the sight!



It was such a blessing to have my parents with us and we got all unpacked, set up, and settled in just a few days. This left us some time to explore the area, including making a trip to Washington D.C. and seeing some of the monuments! One of my favorite sights had to be the elderly man jamming on a bench wearing nothing but some cut up denim shorts, shorts we had to search for before realizing they were actually there. Unfortunately, I did not get a pic to share the glorious sight. I did manage to snap a few of some other sights, although not quite as colorful...

 


 








   




Speaking of adventures, we decided to go for a run along one of the Civil War battlefields in Fredericksburg. It was an absolutely picturesque day, cool in the shade, warm in the sun, with sunlight streaming through the woods around us. Here's a glimpse of our run...


Pretty nice, right? Well we decided right then and there that we would make a goal to run every single battlefield trail in the area. So we went the very next day to the Battle of Chancellorsville. A bit of a longer run which had me slightly worried since I have put on my running shoes oh let's see.....twice....since we ran our 10K...in February. But the day before had been so beautiful we decided the longer route would definitely be worth it. And so we set off, not realizing that the incredibly strong storm the night before would leave entire trees laying across the badly marked path as well as puddles of black mud which I swear was quick sand (picture the scene in the woods in The Princess Bride). Let's just say it was not the picturesque run of the day before as we picked our way through the woods to get around the completely blocked path, through the prickly things, through the Princess Bride mud, under giant branches which left a gash on my shoulder since apparently I have no depth perception. But in the end, still fun and still amazed at the beauty of God's creation :)

Oh and as for our goal....yeah those are still the only two we have run...

Alright next adventure....fabric flowers! I saw this tutorial on Pinterest forever ago and have been itching to try it out, I just never had time while I was teaching. Well now I've got nothing but time so my dream of fabric flowers finally became a reality! I found some random fabric scraps on sale at Hobby Lobby, picked up a straw wreath (unfortunately not half off but I had no patience to wait another week so I reluctantly paid full price...something I swore I would never do at Hob Lob!) I also found some wide burlap ribbon and, glue gun in hand, attempted to make my own flowers. Turns out they are super easy to make! Just kinda twist and fold to get your center going, secure it with hot glue, then twist/glue in a circle-ish pattern. Now I am obsessed and have to resist the urge to glue a fabric flower to everything in our apartment. One picture frame already fell victim to my obsession...
                                

Here it is on our front door...I love the contrast with the red!


Anyone want one? I got tons of the gray, white/gray and yellow fabrics left and loads of time :)

Here's the link I found that gives you a step-by-step tutorial:



No comments:

Post a Comment