Monday, May 13, 2013

What Would The Pioneer Woman Do...

Colossians 3:23 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

The other day when I found myself alone and with nothing to do in the middle of the afternoon, I began to wonder WWTPWOPDD....that's right "What Would the Pioneer Woman Or Paula Deen Do". They would make something scrumptious using ingredients they just happened to have fully stocked in their cupboards. Well, lucky for me, I happened to watch a Pioneer Woman episode the other day and saw her make these delicious strawberry oatmeal bars. Side note: I have become slightly obsessed with the Pioneer Woman. The other day I attended a little conference-thingy for military spouses and we were forced to do an exercise that involved meeting strangers and engaging in small talk prompted by different conversation starter questions...in other words, my own personal hell. (As I told James later in a completely un-dramatic way). Anyways, as I awkwardly introduced myself for the twentieth time in a row, "If you could invite anyone in the world as a dinner guest to your house, who would it be?" I began fumbling through my train of thought, out loud unfortunately, "well I feel like I should say someone important like the President or maybe a world-renowned missionary but I'd probably invite the Pioneer Woman. Except if I did that and she came for dinner I'd have to make sure dinner was really good.....and that's a lot of pressure...." I trailed off. A blank stare ensued. On to the next question please!

This recipe is awesome because you most likely already have all of the ingredients on hand and ready to be whipped into a delicious, buttery-brown sugary bar. WWTPWOPDD you ask? Make strawberry oatmeal bars!

Strawberry Oatmeal Bars
From: The Pioneer Woman

1-3/4 stick cold butter, cut into pieces
1-1/2 cup flour
1-1/2 cup oats (quick or regular)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 jar (10-12 oz) strawberry preserves

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13 or 8x10 baking dish. (I used an 8x8 so mine came out thicker than the original recipe. I'm not complaining...more to love!)
2. Mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter (or in my case, my hands) until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle half of the mixture into the pan and pat lightly to pack it a little tight.
3. Spoon strawberry preserves evenly over the surface, then use a dinner knife to carefully spread it around. Sprinkle the other half of the oat mixture over the top and pat lightly again.
4. Bake until light golden brown on top, about 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in pan. When cool, cut into squares and serve!


I figured out how to add text and cool effects to pics...this newest skill might replace my recent fabric flower fetish. 

Speaking of fabric flowers, I finally found something else to adorn with these ridiculously-easy yet look-impressive crafts! After making two wreaths and attaching several to random picture frames, I decided our apartment could not take any more floral additions. For some reason, James does not share my opinion that his Marine uniforms would look much better with a fabric flower adorning the lapel, like an everlasting boutonniere. So I turned my lack of sewing skills/craftiness with a hot glue gun toward some precious headbands for a family friend's new baby girl. As soon as James stepped in the door after work I proudly shoved them in his face and declared, "You know if/when we have a little girl she is going to wear something like this. Every. Single. Day." A blank stare ensued....



Let's just say...I have a lot of time on my hands and enough hot glue sticks to last a while... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment