Thursday, August 4, 2011

Be watchful, thankful.....and hungry!

Colossians 4:2 "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful." We often devote ourselves to other things - job, school, boyfriend or girlfriend, husband or wife. But what an awesome task we have been charged with by the Bible to daily devote ourselves to being in close, intimate communication with the Creator of everything! I admit I often begin a fervent prayer at night only to wake up the next morning realizing I fell asleep before finishing it yet again! I attended a Passion conference recently during which a speaker urged us to model our prayers after the prayer Jesus himself taught us, the Lord's prayer. Following this example, we would not begin to unload our long lists of petitions without first exclaiming to the Lord that He is holy and praising His awesome name. After praising and enjoying glorifying the Father, we proclaim that His will be done in our lives and not our own! Only after giving him the praise He deserves do we begin to ask for the desires of our hearts, for his healing, provision, protection, etc. Let us embrace this wonderful charge into our daily lives, being devoted to prayer, being watchful, and being thankful for all He does for us!

Recently, every time we watch TV and see a Texas A&M preview for this upcoming football season, all I hear is "I cannot wait for Aggie football!" Multiply this phrase by about 100 times and that is how often I hear it....per day! So in the spirit of the upcoming college football season, I decided to share a family recipe for an awesome breakfast dish, unfortunately named "Aggie Eggs". My family would often eat this on Christmas morning, not only because it is absolutely delish, but also because you can make it up the night before and bake it in the oven the next day! Growing up in a Longhorn family, I always slightly resented the name of this dish, but since marrying an Aggie, I suppose I can deal....maybe:)

Aggie Eggs
This recipe makes a TON, but can easily be halved or quartered.
2 cups Canadian bacon, diced
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
3 Tbsp. butter
12 eggs, beaten

Cheese sauce: (Oh, yeah...you know it's gonna be good!)
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 cups skim milk (I've used 1% and it works, so use whatever you got)
1 cup processed American cheese, shredded

Topping:
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 cup bread crumbs
1/8 tsp. paprika

1. In skillet, cook bacon and onion in 3 Tbsp. butter until onion is tender and transparent.
2. Add eggs and scramble until set. Set aside.
3. Melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
4. Using medium to low heat, add milk and stir until thick.
*Side note....whenever I make a sauce with flour it never gets thick like the recipe promises me that it will. The last time I made it I just kept on stirring to my little heart's content and got the heat just right....and voila! The sauce thickened! Long story short, play around with the heat, it might just take a little tweaking.
5.  Add cheese and stir until melted.
6. Slowly fold eggs into cheese sauce (or add cheese sauce to eggs, I decide based on which pan is bigger).
7. Put in greased 9x13 glass pan.
8. Mix butter, crumbs, and paprika and scatter over top of the eggs (this is crucial, I don't know why but these bread crumbs make all the difference!)
9. Bake at 325 for 25 to 30 minutes.

I hope all Aggies, Longhorns, and any fan of any sport for that matter enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment