Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Heavenly hope, heavenly food!

1 Thessalonians 5:8 "But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet." Some days it seems we need our armor on the second we step out of bed. Like the 6:30 am wake up call I got from my place of employment asking me to sub! I definitely had to put on my armor of love to fend off negative thoughts about the ungodly time of day this call came! But we can be confident that this armor is readily available. We can enjoy the hope of salvation, faith, and love that comes freely flowing from our Father!


I attempted to be a creative cook in the kitchen and came up with this recipe as I was driving back and forth from the DPS (as explained in yesterday's rant!). I seriously am in love with this heavenly food and could probably eat it every night for dinner....maybe even lunch as well! I call it Pesto Alfredo Chicken Bruschetta - the bruschetta part comes from the fact that it is served on top of toasted bread...no other resemblance:) I want to be one of those cool bloggers who takes a pic of their finished product in the kitchen (or even of each step along the way), but unfortunately my camera has gone MIA. But trust me it looks, smells, and tastes HEAVENLY!


Pesto Alfredo Chicken Bruschetta
4 chicken tenderloins
Zucchini and squash (I believe I used about 1/2 of each, since that was all I had left in the fridge), cut thinly crosswise, then diced into small pieces
Olive oil
Salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano
Alfredo sauce (any jar of your favorite)
Pesto (again, whatever kind you prefer)
4 slices of Italian loaf bread
Butter
Parmesan cheese, shredded

I began by cooking the chicken in a skillet with olive oil, salt, and pepper. When chicken is almost done, add zucchini and squash and cover the skillet. When chicken is cooked through, shred it on cutting board before adding back to the skillet. Add more salt and pepper if needed, along with rosemary and oregano. Once veggies are nicely sauteed, add the alfredo sauce. I added enough to make the chicken-veg mix moist but not too much to where it is sitting in a pool of sauce. Let it hang out on low heat while you butter the slices of the Italian loaf (I found one at Walmart pre-sliced...holla!). Toast the bread in another skillet or in the toaster until light brown. Spread a thin layer of pesto on each slice, followed by a nice helping of the chicken/veggie mix, and top with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!! This was SO good, although I was slightly ashamed at how rapidly I downed my helping...I have been attempting to develop the self-discipline of slower eating. Yet another area in which I must lean on the Lord for His help :)



No comments:

Post a Comment