Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Stay warm my friends.

Deuteronomy 31:8 "The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." I thought I'd share this worship song that I am currently, slightly, obsessed with. I pray the words offer refreshment and encouragement to you today and that no matter what you may be facing, you stand firm in the awesome promise of our Lord Almighty. Praise and glory to God that He will never leave us or forsake us!

"In Your Presence" by Elevation Worship


...................................................................................................................................................................


As I sit on the couch and type this I just need you to know....there are icicles hanging off of the truck in the driveway. ICICLES. IN FLORIDA. Now I'm not complaining, lest all northern folk be tempted to roll their eyes, but I'm just in awe. Who knew Florida could even produce such a thing as icicles? The only ice I foresaw in Florida was in my margarita on the rocks. {Obviously I was not nine months preggo in this vision}. 

Also, I hope everyone read that title with the Dos Equis man's Spanish accent.

Anyways, since even the southern states are experiencing their fair share of winter weather, here's a delicious recipe to warm you up! Best enjoyed on the couch with a blanket and something good to watch on TV*.
*Not part of the original recipe, that was my addition. 

I was first drawn to this recipe because it had several ingredients also found in one of our favorite meals, Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes. Never would I have though about putting sweet potatoes in a chili but oh my goodness is it divine. The texture and flavor of this dish is absolutely incredible! So much so that I was pretty much embarrassing myself with the sounds coming out of my mouth as I was shoveling in spoonfuls. Luckily James is a guy so he a.) didn't notice. and b.) was distracted by whatever we were watching on tv. And the best news...the leftovers were just as good the next day! I halved this recipe but kept the original amount of jalapeno - still not super spicy so if you want to kick it up a notch I'd add more jalapenos!

Healthy Jalapeno Sweet Potato Chili
From: pinchofyum.com

What you need...

1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
5 cups chicken broth
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 Tbsp butter or olive oil {I did one tbsp of each}
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 4 cups)
2 14-oz. cans fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
1 14-oz. can black beans, drained
3 Tbsp ground flaxmeal 
{I omitted because I didn't have it...and didn't want to buy it for such a small amount. I thought the chili was thick enough without it!}
Cilantro and cotija cheese for topping 
{we topped ours with shredded Cheddar - I think any cheese will do!}

What to do....

1. Poach the chicken by bringing the chicken broth to a rolling boil and add the raw chicken breasts. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the chicken continue to cook in the broth for another 20 minutes. Remove the chicken, let it cool and shred with forks. Reserve 2 cups of the broth.
2. Heat the butter in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno and saute until tender. Add the chili powder, salt, and sweet potatoes. Saute until the sweet potatoes 
are lightly browned.
3. Add the fire roasted tomatoes, black beans, shredded chicken, and reserved broth. Stir and cover with a tight fitting lid. Keep over medium heat for 45 minutes without stirring {if you have a nonstick pot. If it is not nonstick, then stir it periodically and add some water to prevent sticking}.
4. After 45 minutes, most of the liquid should be gone from the pot. Add two cups of water {or less if needed} and stir to combine. Add the flax {if using} and stir again.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve topped with cheese. Enjoy and stay warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment