Sunday, August 25, 2013

What's in a name?

The name of these delectable little muffins instantly drew me in and I just had to try out a batch. As an avid carb lover, the thought of a single item encompassing not one but two carbalicious treats was mind-boggling. Muffins that taste like donuts? Yes, please. Nutritional information? No, thank you. Gym the next morning? Well, if you insist. 

After making these muffins-that-taste-like-donuts, I decided that I would actually change that inspirational name that pulled me in like the classic dance move...you know the one...throwing out an imaginary rope/lasso to rhythmically tug in someone who is flopping like fish to the same rhythm. I'd call these babies muffins-that-taste-like-coffee-cake. Maybe Coffee Cake Muffins would roll off the tongue more smoothly. Although with the delicious cinnamon-sugar topping, you're not going to want these muffins to roll anywhere. Dense, moist, cinnamon-y, sugary, perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning or late-night dessert.


I believe they said these resembled cake donuts, which might be why they seemed more like a coffee cake to me. (There are only two ways to do doughnuts in my humble opinion...chocolate icing with sprinkles or classic glazed, hot out of the oven, all the way). 

P.S. You will die when you see the method to the cinnamon-sugar-topping madness.

Muffins That Taste Like Donuts

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
(I went a little light on the nutmeg. I don't care for strong nutmeg flavor but if you are a fan, go big or go home. Don't go home, you can stay if you want.)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
(Now on the other hand, I am a huge cinnamon fan so I definitely used a heaping teaspoon)
1/3 cup oil
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup milk

For the topping:
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions:
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine oil, sugar, egg, and  milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir only to combine.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a bowl. Combine the sugar and cinnamon for the topping in another bowl. Shake muffins out while still hot. Dip muffins into the butter then into the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Let cool.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment